Saturday, March 3, 2012

How to make a Terrarium

I was not sure what I wanted Nathan to get me for this last Valentines Day. (2012) We just moved into our home - so we are in the process of getting rid of things instead of bringing new stuff in...so it had to be something we really wanted. So, I really started thinking of what might be cool.
When I was a kid - my Mom had a terrarium and so did my best friend's Mom across the street. I always loved looking into the little world they created. I remember taking naps in front of the one at our home - and imagining stories about the little animals that lived in there.
I have been wanting to have a terrarium forever - so I knew what to ask for - for Valentines. :)

Choosing a Terrarium...Nathan and I started looking around at the stores near us, and the terrariums were major expensive and not that creative....soooo....off to Goodwill we went!
I found a extra large hurricane candle holder and was immediately taken with it...but it had no top. I asked Nater to grab it and hold onto it for me as I kept looking. I went down the kitchen isle and started looking for something to top it with...and BAM there was a cake cover with no bottom! What were the odds that it would fit the top of the hurricane??? IT DID! Bonus was that it looked super cool too! (only $8.00 for both)
My point is do no spend a bunch of money on a glass vase with a lid. (The ones I found were $35.00 to over $100.00 when you can be creative and make something work that is original)
Choosing plants...do not buy any cacti or succulents. They do not grow in terrariums! You want to choose plants that love high humidity and low sun - mostly shade plants. Also plants that will stay dwarf are preferred. So Ferns and moss are ideal. Some I have used are Maiden hair Fern, Creeping ficus, footed fern and my friend has planted African violets. (if you choose those to plant you must remember to go in and pluck off the spent flowers)
This photo is of the terrarium and a pair of shoes we bought at Goodwill.


WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
~ Charcoal (we bought ours in the Fred Meyer garden section
~ 3/8 inch rock
~ High peat moss soil (or mix some yourself)
~ plants
~ figurine if you choose to have one (or nest or shell or whatever you want to add for interest)
~ your terrarium

First - place your 3/8 inch rock into the bottom of your terrarium - till it is about a inch thick
             ~ the 3/8 rock work best because it is a perfect size to let the water through and not a lot of the soil.

Second - take 2 TBS charcoal and place into your rock in the terrarium. Then take your hand and mix slightly into the rock.
             ~ charcoal is what will keep your terrarium fresh and not smelling like a swamp! You do not want to
                skip this step!

Third - scoop your soil into the level rock base you have created. You are going to want to have about 2-3 inches of soil. (depending on your terrarium size)

Fourth - add your plants. Be creative - you are creating a world - make it beautiful and magical. :) Have fun!
             ~make sure and pat your plants in firmly.

Fifth - water your plants in. Not too much water - not too little

Lastly - place your lid on and enjoy!
 I do not have my terrarium in front of a window - this was just for the photo.

I do not recommend feeding your plants in the terrarium - because you want them to stay dwarf.

Something fun I do with my terrarium is I add something from month to month. Like for Valentines day I had my little rabbit figurine holding a sign that said "Be my Valentine" for march he will have something for St' Patrick's day. Enjoy and have fun with this!

Congratulations! You have created a Eco-system!

You might want to pop in Bio-Dome into the DVD player as you create you terrarium. LOL Just a thought! LOL   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J6qOSUJXy0

Also if you are interested in learning more pick up this book. The New Terrarium by Tovah Martin

Remember what goes under glass - must stay under glass! Once a plant is used to living in that environment it must stay in that environment. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment